For those members of our communities that are deaf, hard of hearing, speech impaired or deafblind, we have a number of alternative options to contact us.

For information in British Sign Language (BSL) on how to contact us, click here to watch our BSL videos.

If you are deaf, hard of hearing, speech impaired or deafblind you can use the following:

  • Emergency SMS - 999
  • Emergency Minicom TextRelay - 18000

You have to be registered to use this SMS service. Simply text 'register' from your mobile phone to 999 and follow the instructions. For more information visit

This is an important service. Hampshire Constabulary will take action against anyone misusing the system or sending false texts.

  • Non-emergency SMS - 07781 480999
  • Non-emergency Minicom TextRelay - 18001 101
  • Police 24 hour Fax 01962 874201

No text messages are guaranteed to arrive quickly. We rely on the mobile phone companies and the network. Hampshire Constabulary cannot be held responsible for delays in receiving messages. You will know your message has been received only when you get a reply. Until you get a reply, try other ways to contact the emergency services.

When texting the emergency controller, remember:

What? What is the problem.
Which? Need police, fire rescue, ambulance, coastguard.
Where? Give name of road and town plus more information like: house number; outside post office; near bus station.

Police Link Officers for Deaf people


There are a number of police officers at Hampshire Constabulary who act as Police Link Officers for Deaf people (PLOD).

As well as being available for advice and information, the Link Officers also work to improve access to other areas of the constabulary with special projects.

They can be contacted via the following email address:

A video in BSL about PLOD is available here.

Talk to us on Twitter @HantsPolPLOD

Although our Link Officers hold qualifications in British Sign Language, they are not interpreters. The officers will use their skills to assist in enquiries, provide advice and information or gain early information to the best of their ability, but they do not provide interpreting for evidential procedures.

For evidential procedures, such as taking statements from witnesses or victims, interviewing deaf suspects or a Deaf person acting as an Appropriate Adult for a hearing juvenile, the police should engage the services of an independent qualified Interpreter wherever possible. Hampshire Constabulary engage CACDP registered BSL Interpreters - Members of the Register of Sign Language Interpreters.

If you are used to using professional Lipspeakers, Hampshire Constabulary can (subject to availability) engage the services of a qualified Lipspeaker for evidential procedures. Ask the officer to contact a Lipspeaker. Interpreters and Lipspeakers for evidential procedures are paid for from public funds. This means that deaf people do not have to pay for the use of an interpreter.

Domestic abuse and the Deaf community

DeafHope and Young DeafHope are projects run by the Deaf Health Charity specifically designed to support people in the Deaf community suffering or at risk of domestic abuse.