Advice for Foreign Nationals

Who is required to register?

The Immigration Act (1971) requires certain Foreign Nationals from specified countries who are aged 16 years or over to register with the police. This should be within 7 days of arrival in the UK. 

Police Registration is a legal obligation for Foreign Nationals if their UK Entry Clearance Visa or Residence Permit requires them to do so. The entry clearance vignette must state if registration is necessary.


Foreign nationals from the following countries are required to register with the police:

Afghanistan China Jordan Oman Turkey


Kazahkstan Palestine Turkmenistan
Argentina Cuba Kyrgyzstan Peru UAE
Armenia Egypt Kuwait Qatar Ukraine
Azerbaijan Georgia Lebanon Russia Uzbekistan
Bahrain Hong Kong Libya Saudi Arabia Yemen
Belarus Iran Moldova Sudan Syria
Bolivia Iraq Morocco Tajikistan  
Brazil Israel North Korea Tunisia  


The above list has been valid since May 1998, when the Home Office last reviewed the Police Registration scheme.

A registration requirement maybe imposed on a UK Entry Clearance Visa or Residence Permit of a Foreign National from a country that is not on the above list. In such cases the subject should contact the Nationality Office for further advice. Whether registration is pursued in such a case will be entirely decided by the Home Office Border & Immigration Agency.
Nationality Office staff cannot impose Police Registration on any Foreign National that has no requirement to do so on their UK Entry Clearance Visa or Residence Permit or vice versa.

The Nationality Office at PHQ cannot grant extensions of stay for leave to remain or visas. Such applications must be through the Home Office Border & Immigration Agency  if the subject is applying from within the UK. Alternatively applications can be made through the British Embassy/Consulate in their country of origin.

Please note:  this list is subject to the discretion of the Home Office.  If you are from a country not included on this list and your visa states that you need to register with the police, please contact the Nationalities Office to seek clarification.

How can I contact the Nationalities Office?

We have two locations.  If you are residing in

Hampshire, please contact:

Nationalities Office
Operational Headquarters
Hampshire Constabulary
Tower Street
SO23 8ZD

Tel: 023 8047 8663


Opening times: Monday to Friday 9am - 5pm
Closed weekend and bank holidays


If you are residing on the Isle of Wight, please attend:

Newport Police Station
High Street
Isle of Wight  PO30 1SZ

Tel: 101 and ask for Newport Police Station enquiry officer.

Enquiry office opening times:
9am - 6pm, Monday to Saturday, 9.30am - 6pm Sunday (closed 2pm - 3pm each day)

How do I register?

You need to call one of the numbers shown above to make an appointment. Once you have made an appointment you will need to take with you:

  • your passport, VISA or Biometric Residence Permit
  • a registration fee of £34 debit/credit card or cash
  • a letter from your employer or a certificate of sponsorship
  • an offer or acceptance letter from your place of study
  • UK proof of address - this can be a bank statement, a utility bill or a tenancy agreement
  • two passport sized photos ONLY if your appointment is at Newport Police Station

Once I have registered, do I have to report any changes to the police?

Yes, your Police Registration Certificate must be kept up to date, not only because failure to do so is a criminal offence which could result in a £5000 fine and/or imprisonment but also if you need to extend your visa whilst in the UK you will be required to send your certificate and your passport to the Home Office, and if the certificate has not been updated then the visa may not be issued.

The following changes must be reported at your local police station within 7 days:

  • new passport
  • change of UK address
  • change or extension on your visa/Biometric Residents Permit
  • change of college or university
  • change of employment, business, profession or occupation
  • change of marital status (married or divorced, widowed)
  • change of nationality
  • temporary absence from registered UK address over 2 months

Frequently asked questions

Registering with the police - A guide for foreign nationals leaflet

Addresses and opening times of police stations