If you're a victim of or witness to a crime, this page will explain the processes you may be involved in and what our commitments are.

We will comply with the specific commitments under the Code of Practice for Victims of Crime.

We will provide you with updates at regular intervals during our investigation into your case. We will inform you when a suspect has been arrested, charged or bailed and we will notify you of their bail conditions and our decision regarding case disposal. We will assign a family liaison officer to families of victims of murder or manslaughter.

We will put you in contact with Victim Support (unless you ask us not to) once you have reported your crime. We will take all reasonable steps to identify vulnerable or intimidated victims and offer them an enhanced service.

Advice and information on the criminal justice process and how to get involved in making your neighbourhood a safer place.

If you have been a victim of crime, below are some leaflets that you can download and may find useful.

The 'You've reported a crime... what happens next?' leaflets have been produced by the Criminal Justice System and explain what will happen as a result of your crime being reported and how an investigation will progress. They also include information on Victim Support and other support agencies.

When you are a victim of crime, you can be affected in many different ways - for example, emotionally, financially or physically. Making a Victim Personal Statement (VPS) is a way in which you can put your feelings on record. It will help criminal justice agencies involved in your case (like the police, the prosecutor or the courts) to understand the impact that the crime has had on you and your family. That way we can make sure you get the support you need.

After being a victim of crime you may have strong views on what should be done to make your neighbourhood safer. Your local Safer Neighbourhood team rely on the community to help them set their priorities. The Your Voice Counts community priorities leaflet is a way for you to feed back your thoughts around what matters in your area. You can also email your team through this website by putting your postcode into the homepage.

Care and support for victims and witnesses

Click here to access Hampshire Constabulary's Crime Information Pack

Witness Care Units exist across Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, where the police and Crown Prosecution Service work together to provide advice and support for victims and witnesses throughout a prosecution case. Witness care officers working in the Witness Care Units link with other criminal justice agencies, departments and charitable organisations (e.g. the Court Service, Victim Support and Witness Service) in order to obtain information and ensure individual needs of victims and witnesses are met as far as possible.    

Our forensic investigation teams may need to collect evidence if you have been a victim of crime. 

Click here for some useful information on what a Crime Scene Investigator (CSI) might be looking for and an explanation of the process. 


                        Basingstoke Witness Care Unit
                        Basingstoke Police Station
                        London Road
                        RG21 4AD
Phone: 023 8047 8287
Email for magistrates cases: cju.basingstoke.wcu.mags@hampshire.pnn.police.uk
Email for crown court cases: cju.basingstoke.wcu.crown@hampshire.pnn.police.uk

South West    

                        Witness Care Unit
                        6th floor
                        Southampton Central Police Station
                        Southern Road
                        SO15 1AN
Phone: 02380 533212
Email for magistrates cases: cju.southampton.wcu.mags@hampshire.pnn.police.uk
Email for crown court cases: cju.southampton.wcu.crown@hampshire.pnn.police.uk

South East     

                       Portsmouth Witness Care Unit
                       Portsmouth Central police station
                       Winston Churchill Avenue
                       PO1 2DG
Phone: 02392 891619
Email for magistrates court cases: portsmouth.wcu.mags@hampshire.pnn.police.uk
Email for crown court cases: portsmouth.wcu.crown@hampshire.pnn.police.uk

Want to tell us about the service you've received as a victim or witness?

Your feedback is extremely useful in helping to improve the service and support we deliver. If you have been a victim or witness of crime in a case that has been heard at court, and would like to provide feedback on the information, service or support provided, please email us at cjdeliveryunit@hampshire.pnn.police.uk.

Victim Right To Review

The Victim Right to Review (VRR) scheme gives victims the right to request a review of a police decision not to prosecute a suspect.  The scheme applies to National Crime Recording Standard (NCRS) offences.

Click here for more information.

What other agencies are involved in the process?

More information about the criminal justice system can be found via www.justice.gov.uk.  

More information about the support and services provided by Victim Support, and the Witness Service, can be found at the Victim Support website, www.victimsupport.org.uk.  

More information about the Crown Prosecution Service can be found on its website, www.cps.gov.uk.

Surveys of victims of crime

Hampshire Constabulary has in place monthly surveys that are undertaken by an outside company on the force's behalf to ensure we provide a high level of service at all times.

It is important that Hampshire Constabulary delivers a service that meets public expectation. We want you to be happy with the service you receive and confident that your crime has been dealt with appropriately and professionally.

For this reason, a market research company, acting on our behalf, carries out monthly surveys with victims of crime. We contact victims of crime by telephone and ask them to tell us about the service they received and how satisfied they were with the response they got.

The information that we collect helps us to shape and change our service.

If you would like further information about the survey or wish to check that a call you have received is genuine, please call Hampshire Constabulary on 101.